Blue Wing Saloon History
First opened in the 1880s when Upper Lake, California was a stage coach stop, the saloon remained a popular watering hole until the onset of prohibition in 1920. Click here for a more extensive treatment of the colorful history of the Blue Wing and Tallman Hotel.
The expansive bar and dining tables were milled from a 100+ year old walnut tree harvested from the property and built on-site by local craftsmen. The bar was built to match the 1870s back bar, which was relocated to the project site from Pennsylvania. The old-growth redwood wainscotting was found hidden behind layers of paint and wallpaper during renovation of the Tallman Hotel next door.
The authentic look and feel of the saloon transports patrons back in time but geo-exchange heating and cooling systems, solar panels on the roof and modern kitchen equipment all produce a comfortable, state-of-the-art, eco-friendly environment.